Set up your Xbox One
If you want to use your voice to control your Xbox One, you need to set up a few things first. Here’s how to get started.
Connect your console to the internet
You’ll need to connect your Xbox One console to the internet to get started. You can do this using a wired or wireless connection.
If you have a wireless router, you can connect your console to the internet by using a wireless connection. To do this, you’ll need to have a wireless network adapter.
If you don’t have a wireless router, you can still connect your console to the internet by using a wired connection. To do this, you’ll need an Ethernet cable and an Ethernet port on your device.
Set up a Microsoft account
Before you can use your Xbox One, you need to set it up and create a Microsoft account. To do this:
- Plug in your Xbox One and turn it on.
- Follow the prompts on your screen. If you’re having trouble, see Set up your Xbox One console.
- When prompted, sign in or create a new Microsoft account or connect an existing one to your console.
- If you want to use Kinect sign-in for your account, make sure it’s turned on and positioned correctly. For more info, see Use Kinect sign-in on Xbox One.
- After everything is set up, you can start using your Xbox One console.
Download the latest system update
If you’re having problems with your Xbox One console, it may be because your system software is out of date. To update your console by using Xbox Live, all you need is an Internet connection.
Note If you can’t connect your Xbox One to the Internet, find out how to manually update the console.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide, and then go to Settings > System > Updates & downloads. Or open Microsoft Store, then select the three dots in the top right corner and select Downloads and updates.
- Select Update now. The console will check for updates and download any available updates.
- Once everything has downloaded successfully, restart your console by pressing the Xbox button on the front of the device for 10 seconds, until it shuts down completely.. After restarting, try opening Microsoft Store again to see if there are any further updates to install
Enable voice commands
The Xbox One has a voice assistant feature that allows you to use voice commands to perform various tasks. To enable this feature, you’ll need to set up a microphone and connect it to your Xbox One. Once you’ve done that, you can start using voice commands to do things like launch apps, play games, and more.
Press the Xbox button to open the guide
On the Home screen, press the Xbox button to open the guide, then go to System > Settings > Devices & connections > Connected devices. Select your Xbox One Wireless Controller and then select Device info. Turn on Voice command.
Select Settings > All settings > System > Cortana settings
To enable voice commands on your Xbox One console, you’ll need to turn on the built-in Microsoft Cortana assistant. Cortana is a cloud-based voice command service that you can use to control your Xbox and other smart devices.
Here’s how to enable Cortana on your Xbox One console:
- Select Settings > All settings > System.
- Under “Speech language,” select Language, and then select the language you want to use for Cortana commands.
- Under “Cortana settings,” select On.
Turn on Voice Commands by tapping the switch. Now you can use your voice to Open apps, send texts and emails, schedule reminders, and more.
Use voice commands
You can use voice commands with your Xbox One to control your TV and apps,skip to the next song,and a lot more. Try out these commands to get started.
To open apps and games, say “Hey Cortana, open [app or game name].”
You can also say commands like “Hey Cortana, take a screenshot” or “Hey Cortana, record that,” and she’ll do it. To see a full list of commands—and to train Cortana to better understand you—head to Settings > Kinect & devices > Devices & accessories, and then select your Xbox One controller. Select Configure speech recognition to view the list of voice commands, or retrain your console to respond better to your voice.
To turn off your console, say “Hey Cortana, turn off.”
To turn off your console, say “Hey Cortana, turn off.” If you’re using a headset, make sure it’s connected to your controller. Then, press the Xbox button to open the guide, and say “Hey Cortana.” Cortana will ask you a few questions to get to know you better and personalize your gaming experience. You can also check out the Quick start tour in the guide for more information about what Cortana can do for you on Xbox One.
For a full list of commands, say “Hey Cortana, what can I say?”
You can use voice commands to control Cortana hands-free. To learn more about the privacy settings for your device, go to the privacy settings page.
Here are some things you can say:
“Hey Cortana, set a timer for 5 minutes.”
“Hey Cortana, what’s the weather like today?”
“Hey Cortana, wake me up at 7am tomorrow.”
“Hey Cortana, remind me to call John at 3pm.”
“Hey Cortana, play some rock music.”