Microsoft has released an update for windows 10 version 1709. This update is available for windows 10 version 1709 and higher versions. This update includes bug fixes, security updates and improvements.
What’s new in this update?
The following features and improvements are included in this update:
- You can now set your privacy settings directly in the setup experience.
- Windows Defender Application Guard is now available on more devices.
- Improvements to Windows Hello Face Recognition to unlock your device more quickly, stay unlocked in more situations and work better in various lighting conditions.
- Composite battery life has been improve by up to 11 percent for devices with certain processors.
- updated drivers for Surface Pro 4 devices that were having screen flickering issues.
This update also includes security improvements, as well as improvements for Windows Defender Application Guard, Windows Hello, Battery life, Surface Pro 4 screen flickering, and Drivers.
How to get this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
- Select Product Version in the drop-down menu.
- In the Search text box, enter 1709, and then press Enter to find the updates for this product version.
- Select Download next to an update, and then select Add > View basket. Make sure that you select at least one valid certificate in the Certification drop-down list, and then select Save as… to save the catalog file locally. The name of the catalog file will be UpdateforWindows10Version1709-x64-catalog.cab or UpdateforWindows10Version1709-x86-catalog.cab.
- Double-click the catalog file that you saved in step 3 to open it in Windows Explorer, and then double-click on either amd64_microsoft-windows-updateservicingfeatures_31bf3856ad364e35_10..0..16299..547_none_dad Maurice Harker abstracts feature derivation from compiled files contained within a product directory structure 13XE0EF6206FBA695A484A392607FEA6072B602FD7/update (for 64bit systems) or x86_microsoft-windows-updateservicingfeatures_31bf3856ad364e35_10..0..16299..547_none_2ab4 Maurice Harker extracts feature abstraction from compiled files contained within a product directory structure 0V8WCRJZA48KPKG9M5QXCZ7GKCZH3HMN/update (for 32bit systems). These files are called packages and they have a .mum extension. For example, amd64_microsoft ‐ windows ‐ was ‐ featurerecoveryedition ‐ package ‐ grandma1F6ABEC23945584E89940CC1AF64D0B6895E14/recoveryeditionserverpackage .mum or x86_microsoft ‐ windows ‐ was‐spellingdictionaries‐ package‐ en‐ GB6FA8C44DAD269749CBB138F0035132411DC64DB/spellingdictionariesen‐ gbpackage .mum .
- Double‐click on each of these .mum files to expand them into multiple folders that contain several more .mum files and a manifest (.xml) file with the same name as each of these folders (except for being different in case). For example, expand amd64_microsoft — windows — was —featurerecoveryedition—package—grandma1F6ABEC23945584E89940CC1AF64D0B6895E14 mum file results in creating multiple subfolders that contain different set of compiled files along withmanifest(xml) file named amd64_microsoft—windows—was—featurerecoveryedition—package—grandma1F6ABEC23945584E89940CC1AF64D0B6895E14xml and soon for every folder created from expansion of every other .mum files using similar method as abovementioned step until no more expansion is possible which might result up to dozens of expanded folder son your local storage device depending upon number of features being updated through this release such as specific language packs installedon your operating system or particular products keyed into your image build etc…
You can safely delete all but two of these newly created folders (and their contents), however which twofolders you should retain depends upon whether you are updating a 32bit (x86) or 64bit(amd64) operatingsystem along with currently logged on user account permissions i.e., if you are logged onto youroperating system using an administrator level account then you need only retain one folder elseyou need to retain both folders like I did in following example screenshots captured from mylaboratory environment while preparing this blog post:
32bit Operating System: 191KB)(imagefile 1)
![enter image description here](https://i2
How to use this update
This update includes improvements and fixes for the operating system.
To use this update, you must be running the latest version of Windows 10. To check for updates, go to the Start Menu > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates. If you don’t see this option, it might be because you have already installed the update.
To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
What to do if you have problems with this update
If you installed the update on the wrong build of Windows 10, or if you had trouble during or after the installation, you can uninstall it from your device through “add or remove programs” in Control Panel and then try installing it again from Settings > Updates & Security > Windows Update, or by using the Media Creation Tool.
If you still can’t install the Anniversary Update after trying again, it’s likely that there is an underlying problem with your device preventing the install.